The Georgia Public Health Association is a non-profit corporation and is organized for the purpose of promoting the public and personal health of the citizens of Georgia. Learn More >>
Why Join GPHA?
The Georgia Public Health Association is the largest group of public health professionals in the Southeast. Becoming a GPHA member gives you access to a network of more than 1,000 other public health professionals, and opportunities for continuing education, recognition and awards, scholarships and much more. The members of GPHA are dedicated to promoting and protecting the health of Georgians, and we can achieve even more when we work together.
Did you know you can give a GPHA membership as a gift? Any GPHA member may “gift” a membership to a non-member for the first year for $35. Learn More »
2015 Legislative Priorities
Georgia Public Health Association supports:
• Hold harmless funding in the FY2016 budget for those counties that would otherwise lose General Grant-in-Aid funding under the new distribution formula adopted in 2011.
• Increasing the total amount of Formula Grant-in-Aid dollars distributed to counties.
• Adequate funding and resources to support our local public health workforce in preventing disease, promoting wellness and preparing for emergencies.
• A $1.00 per pack cigarette tax increase, or similar legislation that may be offered, including increased taxes on other tobacco products.
• Programs for the treatment and prevention of childhood obesity.
• Telehealth and telemedicine programs in rural areas.
• Programs and funding that will help stabilize and revitalize healthcare facilities and workforce in the rural areas of Georgia.
• Graduate Medical Education incentives that are designed to persuade primary care professionals to practice in Georgia and especially in rural areas of the state.
• The ongoing modernization of the Office of Vital Records.
• Capital funding that would enable the “enterprise systems modernization” at the Department of Public Health.
GPHA News RSS
News from the GA Public Health Board Meeting May 26 2015
During the Georgia Public Health Board May meeting on Tuesday, board members saw presentations on Asthma-Friendly Childcare Centers, the Georgia Alzheimer’s Registry, and an Update on 2016 General Obligation Bonds and Budget. The presentations are viewable online.
Georgia Residents Have Lower Rates of Heavy Drinking May 25 2015
Georgia residents have lower rates of heavy drinking and binge drinking when compared to the rest of the nation, according to a study recently published in the American Journal of Public Health.
Deal Creates GA Commission on Medical Cannabis May 24 2015
Georgia Governor Nathan Deal has appointed a panel to make recommendations about medical marijuana use in Georgia. A law recently passed allowing people with certain medical conditions to have cannabis oil with a doctor’s permission.
Georgia Health News RSS
Your donation to GPHA contributes to the education and training of a network of more than 1,000 public health professionals and advocates. The members of GPHA are dedicated to promoting and protecting the health of Georgians, and we can achieve even more when we work together.
Upcoming Events RSS
March 22-23, 2016 in Atlanta, GA
Hilton Atlanta Downtown
NALBOH Conference – Aug. 5-7
Online registration is open for The National Association of Local Boards of Health (NALBOH) 2015 Annual Conference. The meeting will be held August 5 -7 in Louisville, Kentucky.
APHA Annual Meeting – Oct. 31 – Nov. 4
The American Public Health Association’s Annual Meeting & Exposition will be held October 31-November 4 in Chicago. Registration opens June 2!
Resources and Grant Opportunities
We have links to some grant opportunities and research awards available to public health professionals. Visit our Resources page for more information.
Public Health Jobs
Looking for a program for your next Board of Health meeting? Is your Health Department seeking national accreditation? Are you stumped by parliamentary procedures when your board meets?
Then check out our Board of Health training videos - we have answers!