The Georgia Public Health Association is a non-profit corporation and is organized for the purpose of promoting the public and personal health of the citizens of Georgia. Learn More >>
Why Join GPHA?
The Georgia Public Health Association is the largest group of public health professionals in the Southeast. Becoming a GPHA member gives you access to a network of more than 1,000 other public health professionals, and opportunities for continuing education, recognition and awards, scholarships and much more. The members of GPHA are dedicated to promoting and protecting the health of Georgians, and we can achieve even more when we work together.
Did you know you can give a GPHA membership as a gift? Any GPHA member may “gift” a membership to a non-member for the first year for $35. Learn More »
2017 Policy Positions
GPHA supports programs and funding to protect and promote the public’s health throughout the state, including:
• Workforce development, including enhancements to recruitment, retention and succession efforts, with emphasis on Environmental Health positions where market rate salaries are urgently needed, along with additional personnel at the local level
• Facilities and infrastructure improvements with an emphasis on further developing telehealth technological capabilities statewide
• Incentives, such as service cancelable loans, for primary care professionals to practice in Georgia, especially in rural areas
• Telehealth, telemedicine and teledentistry programs
• Hold harmless funding in the FY 2018 budget for those counties that would otherwise lose General Grant-in-Aid funding under the distribution formula adopted in 2011
• Continued health inspections of public swimming pools
• Adequate cadre budget funding to attract and maintain competent leadership positions in District Public Health Offices
• Funding to increase the early detection and treatment of autism spectrum disorder, and programs to enhance early brain development
• A $1.00 per pack cigarette tax increase, raising the legal age to purchase tobacco products, or similar legislation that may be offered.
Looking for a program for your next Board of Health meeting? Is your Health Department seeking national accreditation? Are you stumped by parliamentary procedures when your board meets?
Then check out our Board of Health training videos - we have answers!
GPHA News RSS
Poster Session Opportunities at APHA Conference Feb 27 2017
The Council of Affiliates (CoA) is sponsoring an affiliate poster session and two student poster sessions for the upcoming APHA 2017 Annual Meeting & Exposition in Atlanta, GA (November 4-8, 2017). The deadline for submitting poster abstracts is April 30.
Legislative Report for Feb. 24
The General Assembly has moved into high gear as “Crossover Day” approaches next Friday. Our latest legislative report includes some of the highlights from the week just completed.
GPHA Conference: Draft Workshop Schedule Released Feb 24 2017
The 88th Annual GPHA Meeting and Conference will begin in just over 6 weeks, and now you can get a sneak peek at the conference schedule and workshop offerings.
Georgia Health News RSS
Your donation to GPHA contributes to the education and training of a network of more than 1,000 public health professionals and advocates. The members of GPHA are dedicated to promoting and protecting the health of Georgians, and we can achieve even more when we work together.
Resources and Grant Opportunities
We have links to some grant opportunities and research awards available to public health professionals. Visit our Resources page for more information.
Public Health Jobs
Upcoming Events RSS
April 11-12, 2017
Atlanta Marriott Marquis Hotel
2017 International Symposium on Human Factors and Ergonomics
The Human Factors and Ergonomics Society invites you to attend the 2017 International Symposium on Human Factors and Ergonomics in Health Care to be held March 5–8, at the Sheraton New Orleans, New Orleans, Louisiana.
Public Health Improvement Training
2017 Public Health Improvement Training (PHIT): Advancing Performance in Agencies, Systems and Communities will be held in Albuquerque, NM, June 13 – 14, 2017.