The 2023 Legislative Session of the Georgia General Assembly has begun.
Throughout the legislative session, our liaison Scott Maxwell will provide a weekly report on bills and any other legislative activity related to public health. Reports will be posted here.
Review the weekly updates from the 2023 legislative session below:
- Report #1: Week ending Jan. 13
- Report #2: Week ending Jan. 20
- Report #3: Week ending Jan. 27
- Report #4: Week ending Feb. 3
- Report #5: Week ending Feb. 10
- Report #6: Week ending Feb. 17
- Report #7: Week ending Feb. 24
- Report #8: Week ending Mar. 3
- Report #9: Week ending Mar. 10
Looking for a recap of previous legislative sessions? Click here to view an archive of legislative reports for 2018 – 2022.
2022 Policy Positions
- Funding: Maintaining sufficient funding for county health departments through the Grants-to-Counties formula.
- Workforce: Salary enhancements to promote recruitment, retention, and succession efforts for public health staff.
- Financial incentives for primary care professionals to practice in Georgia, especially in rural areas.
- Opposition to legislation that weaken public health laws, i.e. food safety.
- Support of legislation to revise and strengthen the Smoke Free Air Act and childhood lead poisoning prevention laws.